Oakleafe Claims - Logo
Oakleafe Claims

The Risks of Having an Unoccupied Property and Insurance

Owning a property can come with unique challenges, particularly when it insurance. Whether you're a property owner with an empty home, delving into your insurance policy, or facing the daunting task of an insurance claim, understanding how unoccupied properties affect this is crucial.

How Long Can I Leave My House Empty in the UK?

In the UK, most standard home insurance policies cover an empty home for a period of 30 days with some extending to 60. However, this duration can vary, and it's essential to check your policy's specifics to protect your property adequately.

The Risks of a Vacant Property

Unoccupied properties are susceptible to various risks. If regular maintenance is not partaken this can lead to water damage (Escape of Water, Flood damage) or issues with heating systems (frozen pipes). Additionally, empty properties often attract criminal damage, increasing the risk of damage.

The Hazard of A Vacant Building

Vacant buildings are potential hazards due to factors like deteriorating structures and the increased likelihood of squatters. For commercial properties, these risks can escalate, affecting insurance cover.

Insurance Coverage for Long-term Vacancy

Specialist unoccupied property insurance becomes necessary when a property is left empty for an extended period. Standard home insurance may not suffice, leaving property owners vulnerable.

The Cost of Insuring an Unoccupied Property

Yes, insuring an unoccupied property is typically more expensive due to the heightened risks involved. However, measures to minimise the risk, such as securing the property and regular checks, can help reduce premiums.

Can You Insure a House That Is Not Occupied?

It is possible to insure a house that is not occupied. Insurance providers offer policies specifically designed for vacant properties to address the unique challenges they pose.

Definition of an Unoccupied House for Insurance Purposes

An unoccupied house, for insurance purposes, generally refers to a property left empty for over 30-60 days. The definition can vary among insurers, so it's important to confirm with your provider.

The Advantage of Hiring a Loss Assessor like Oakleafe in the event of an Insurance Claim

When facing the complexities of insuring an unoccupied property or making a claim, expertise is invaluable. Hiring a loss assessor, such as Oakleafe, can significantly benefit property owners. They provide expert guidance through the claims process, ensuring you receive fair treatment from insurers and helping to reduce the risk and stress involved.

Related Claims and Topics
February 22, 2024
Join Us at the Midlands Business Network on 29th February!

Are you ready to take your business networking to the next level? We're thrilled to announce that Oakleafe Claims will be exhibiting at the upcoming Midlands Business Network event on February 29th. This is an incredible opportunity for businesses in the Midlands region to connect, collaborate, and grow together. Why Attend the Midlands Business Network? […]

Read More
February 21, 2024
Repudiation in Insurance: What is it?

Insurance is a safety net we rely on for financial protection in times of need. However, it's essential to understand the terminology used in insurance policies to ensure you're adequately covered. One aspect is repudiation, which holds significant weight in insurance. What is Repudiation of an Insurance Policy?  Repudiation of an insurance policy occurs when […]

Read More
February 19, 2024
Top 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Filing a Property Insurance Claim in the UK

Filing a property insurance claim in the UK can be daunting, especially in the aftermath of a disaster or unforeseen event. From ensuring timely submissions to accurately documenting damages, homeowners must take several crucial steps to maximise their chances of a successful claim. However, in the stress and urgency of the situation, it's easy to […]

Read More


If you have been declined whilst trying to claim on your domestic or commercial insurance, we can help. We can also help with professional services, for example, Brokers, VAR Valuations and Managing Agents.