Oakleafe Claims - Logo
Oakleafe Claims

Festivals, Glastonbury and Camping - Are you covered?

camping, festival, Glastonbury

If you are preparing to set off to a festival like Glastonbury or are away camping with friends and family this summer, fun times are on the cards. However, you must be covered, and we don't just mean by the tent over you. You may think you have everything ticked off your list, but is sorting your insurance one of them? Accidents and theft can occur anywhere at any time.

Does your home insurance cover you camping?

Generally your home insurance includes two main components: buildings insurance and contents insurance.

The buildings covers the structure of your home and permanent fixtures, whereas contents insurance covers your personal belongings inside the home. Some policies may offer both, or they may be purchased separately.

Many assume that contents insurance automatically covers their personal belongings, regardless of if they are at home or with you. This is partially correct. However, it's crucial to understand that the cover might not be as comprehensive when your belongings are outside your home. Sometimes you may need to pay extra for this. For example, theft is likely to be declined if items were left unattended, for example if you left your iPad or speaker in your tent and went out for the day.

When away -

  • 49% carry a smartphone
  • 41% carry bank cards
  • 32% take power bank chargers
  • 30% take their camera
  • A fifth take their iPad or similar tablet computer
  • 15% wear a smart watch or expensive watch
  • 15% take a Bluetooth speaker
  • 15% take a kindle or other e-reading device
  • 11% take a laptop
  • 4% wear expensive jewellery.

*Stats credited to your mortgage

Away from Insurance home cover while camping or festivals like Glastonbury

Away from Home cover, sometimes known as Personal Possessions cover, is a specific part of many contents insurance policies that can protect your possessions outside your home. This could include your camping equipment or the personal belongings you take to a music festival.
This additional cover can protect your personal belongings from theft, loss, or accidental damage while you're out and about, offering peace of mind during your adventures. However, the terms and conditions of this cover can vary significantly among different insurance providers, and it's only sometimes included as standard in all contents insurance policies. So, it's essential to check with your insurer and read the fine print of your policy documentation to understand the extent of your coverage.

Limitations and exclusions on your policy while camping and at festivals

Festivals, Glastonbury and Camping - Are you covered?

While Away from Home cover can provide valuable protection, it often has limitations and exclusions. Insurers may limit the value of individual items or the total amount they will pay out for loss or damage.

High-risk items, such as jewellery, watches, or high-tech gadgets, need to be listed separately, and there may be an extra premium to pay. Moreover, certain circumstances may not be covered at all. For example, your claim could be rejected if your belongings are left unattended, in an open space, or not stored securely.

So, Are You Covered at Music Festivals or While Camping?

To clarify if you are covered whilst at a festival or camping, we advise you to contact your insurer or refer to your policy documentation to confirm. If your policy covers away from home and doesn't exclude camping festivals, then it is likely you will be covered, however, it is best to check.

Also bear in mind that if you make an insurance claim it could impact the cost of future policies purchased. It may be worth checking the market and considering buying a separate holiday policy for piece of mind.

Lastly and most importantly when camping and at Glastonbury

Have fun, stay safe and make many memories!

Related Claims and Topics
March 28, 2024
How to Protect Your Rental Property with Landlord Insurance.

Are you a landlord looking to safeguard your rental property and investment? Landlord insurance is a vital tool that provides protection and peace of mind against various risks and liabilities associated with renting out a property. In this guide, we'll explore everything you need to know about landlord insurance in the UK, including what it […]

Read More
March 26, 2024
Essential Home Insurance Tips for First-Time Buyers

Are you taking the exciting step of purchasing your first home? Congratulations! As you embark on this journey, one crucial aspect to consider is securing the right home insurance policy. Navigating the world of home insurance can seem daunting, but fret not – we've compiled a comprehensive guide tailored specifically for first-time buyers like you. […]

Read More
March 22, 2024
Is Your Home Spring Ready?

As spring approaches, the days become brighter and the weather warms. We look at ways to help prepare your home for the sunny season, ensuring it is in tip-top condition and helping to prevent winter wear and tear or spring showers causing issues that could result in you needing to make a Domestic Insurance Claim. […]

Read More


If you have been declined whilst trying to claim on your domestic or commercial insurance, we can help. We can also help with professional services, for example, Brokers, VAR Valuations and Managing Agents.