Oakleafe Claims - Logo
Oakleafe Claims

Floor Joist Water Damage - Help With Your Insurance Claim

Floor Joist Water Damage - Help With Your Insurance Claim
floor joist, Insurance Claim Help, Loss Assessor, water damage, wood damage

If you suffer a leak or flood in your home, you will find water damage in many different places including areas not immediately visible, such as to joists under the floor. In many cases, this can lead to structural damage, and so action needs to be taken fast.

As the UK's leading insurance claim experts, Oakleafe act fast to handle all aspects of a claim and to get your home back to its best.

What can cause water damage to joists

Floor joists in your home can suffer water damage following several different incidents. Whether this be after a major event like a flood, storm, or a hurricane, or from a burst pipe or a leak from a water heater, there is a chance that you will need your floor joists repaired.

How to tell if joists are water damaged

Sometimes it can be difficult to visibly tell if your floor joists have been damaged by water, and easier to identify by touching them. There though some obvious visual signs of water damaged floor joists:

  • Crumbling: if the wood has started to crumble away then you will likely find that the damage has caused a wet rot. It may also feel soft and spongy and have a darker look to it.
  • Sagging: when the wood is sinking or bending downwards due to the weight or pressure. These indicates significant damage that will need to be fixed.
  • Discolouration: if the wood has changed or lost its colour then you will likely find mould or mildew.

If the wooden joists are rotten, then it is likely that you had a leak that went undetected a while ago. In this case, the structural integrity of your property will be severely compromised, and so extensive repairs will need to take place.

Water damaged floor joist

How to repair floor joists with water damage

Whether you repair or replace rotten joists will depend on the extent of the water damage and the effects of the damage.

One of the most common methods of fixing a floor joint is joint sistering. This is where an identical piece of wood is fastened to the existing floor joist, providing stronger support. If the water damage has impacted the structure, then the ideal solution would be to completely replace the floor joist.

Floor joist water damage insurance claims - get help from Oakleafe

Should you make a claim on your insurance because of the water damaged floor joist you will find yourself taking on the stress of the long claims process and getting your home repaired. With Oakleafe on your side, your whole claim will be taken care of, leaving you to focus on your family. We will handle all stages of a claim, including handling surveyors, contractors, and all meetings with the insurance company and their loss adjuster.

Related Claims and Topics
March 28, 2024
How to Protect Your Rental Property with Landlord Insurance.

Are you a landlord looking to safeguard your rental property and investment? Landlord insurance is a vital tool that provides protection and peace of mind against various risks and liabilities associated with renting out a property. In this guide, we'll explore everything you need to know about landlord insurance in the UK, including what it […]

Read More
March 26, 2024
Essential Home Insurance Tips for First-Time Buyers

Are you taking the exciting step of purchasing your first home? Congratulations! As you embark on this journey, one crucial aspect to consider is securing the right home insurance policy. Navigating the world of home insurance can seem daunting, but fret not – we've compiled a comprehensive guide tailored specifically for first-time buyers like you. […]

Read More
March 22, 2024
Is Your Home Spring Ready?

As spring approaches, the days become brighter and the weather warms. We look at ways to help prepare your home for the sunny season, ensuring it is in tip-top condition and helping to prevent winter wear and tear or spring showers causing issues that could result in you needing to make a Domestic Insurance Claim. […]

Read More


If you have been declined whilst trying to claim on your domestic or commercial insurance, we can help. We can also help with professional services, for example, Brokers, VAR Valuations and Managing Agents.