Oakleafe Claims - Logo
Oakleafe Claims

Building Insurance: Does it Cover Leaks and Water Damage?

Burst Pipe, Insurance Claims Management, leak insurance claim, Loss Assessor, water leak

Experiencing a water leak in your home can be a stressful ordeal. Understanding the ins and outs of building insurance in such scenarios is crucial. Whether you are dealing with a small leak or a significant pipe rupture, understanding your policy's coverage can offer you reassurance and direction on the necessary steps that you need to take.

We have put together this article to clarify the coverage elements of building insurance policies in the UK, particularly concerning water damage, leaks, burst or frozen pipes, when needing to make a claim on your home insurance.

Oakleafe Claims - Loss Assessors

What is Not Covered by Building Insurance?

Building insurance typically provides a safety net for various kinds of structural damage to your home, including certain types of water damage. However, you should note that not all scenarios are covered. Exclusions often include damage from wear and tear or gradual decline over time.

Additionally, if your home was unoccupied for over 60 days, some policies might not cover the damages. It's crucial to read the fine print and understand these limitations, as each policy is different.

Is Plumbing Covered by Building Insurance?

The coverage for plumbing in building insurance can be complex. In general, damage caused by a burst pipe, leaking pipes or an 'escape of water' is often included. However, the cost of repairing the actual pipe may not be covered. This distinction between the resultant damage and the source of the problem is a key aspect to consider when assessing your policy.

Who Pays for Water Leak Damage?

floor joist water damage insurance claim help

The responsibility typically falls under the home insurance cover when it comes to water leak damage, . If the damage caused by the leak is because of accidental damage, your building insurance should cover the cost of repairing it. However, if the leak is a result of negligence or lack of maintenance, you might have to bear the expenses.

Does Insurance Pay Out for Leaking Roof?

We are often asked 'Does house insurance cover roof leaks?'.

In short, a leaking roof can lead to significant water damage in your home. For this reason, most building insurance policies include damage cover for such scenarios. This is providing the leak is accidental and not because of negligence or normal wear and tear.

It's essential to contact your insurers promptly and provide all necessary information for your claim.

The Role of Home Emergency Cover

For immediate assistance in cases like a burst pipe or major leak, home emergency cover can be a lifesaver. This aspect of home insurance provides quick professional help to prevent further damage. It's an additional layer of protection that can be crucial in managing unexpected home emergencies.

Understanding Contents Insurance in Leak Scenarios

While building insurance covers the structure, contents insurance is essential for protecting your belongings. In the event of water damage, contents insurance can cover the cost of repairing or replacing damaged items within your home, ensuring that you're not left at a financial loss.

The Impact of Wear and Tear on Claims

One common misunderstanding is the role of wear and tear in insurance claims. Building insurance does not cover damage resulting from gradual wear and tear. Regular water pipes and heating systems maintenance is essential to prevent such issues and ensure your claim is valid.

Dealing with a Burst Pipe or Leak

What To Do With When You Have A Burst Pipe And How To Prevent Them

If you're facing a burst pipe or leak in your home, the first step is to act quickly and control the situation to prevent further damage. Then, contact your insurers to discuss your policy's damage cover. Documenting the incident and keeping records of all communications is vital for a smooth insurance claim process.

Hiring Loss Assessors: The Oakleafe Advantage

It is a good idea to look into hiring a loss assessor like Oakleafe. This can significantly benefit your claim process in complex scenarios. Loss assessors work on your behalf to ensure you receive the maximum entitlement under your policy. They will be able to assist with checking the extent of the damage.

For example, in a case where a family in London faced extensive water damage from a burst pipe, Oakleafe successfully negotiated with the insurance company to cover all repair costs and temporary relocation expenses, significantly reducing the stress and financial burden on the family.

Understanding the ins and outs of building insurance in the context of leaks and water damage is critical to effectively managing such situations. From knowing what's covered to proactively maintaining your property, you should be informed. In cases where the process becomes overwhelming, remember that enlisting professional help from a Loss Assessor like Oakleafe is just a call away to guide and support you through your insurance claim.

Related Claims and Topics
March 28, 2024
How to Protect Your Rental Property with Landlord Insurance.

Are you a landlord looking to safeguard your rental property and investment? Landlord insurance is a vital tool that provides protection and peace of mind against various risks and liabilities associated with renting out a property. In this guide, we'll explore everything you need to know about landlord insurance in the UK, including what it […]

Read More
March 26, 2024
Essential Home Insurance Tips for First-Time Buyers

Are you taking the exciting step of purchasing your first home? Congratulations! As you embark on this journey, one crucial aspect to consider is securing the right home insurance policy. Navigating the world of home insurance can seem daunting, but fret not – we've compiled a comprehensive guide tailored specifically for first-time buyers like you. […]

Read More
March 22, 2024
Is Your Home Spring Ready?

As spring approaches, the days become brighter and the weather warms. We look at ways to help prepare your home for the sunny season, ensuring it is in tip-top condition and helping to prevent winter wear and tear or spring showers causing issues that could result in you needing to make a Domestic Insurance Claim. […]

Read More


If you have been declined whilst trying to claim on your domestic or commercial insurance, we can help. We can also help with professional services, for example, Brokers, VAR Valuations and Managing Agents.